Thursday, June 07, 2007

Tony Awards and My Disney Podcast

The important post to read is my previous one called California Restrains Free Speech. This post is just for a couple of lighter topics.

The Tony Awards are handed out on Sunday June 10. I only saw one Broadway show last year, Mary Poppins, and on that basis I am rooting for Gavin Lee to win a Tony. He played Bert believably and brightly, and he connected with the audience, drawing you in. He also danced in very difficult circumstances (such as inverted).

Jane Carr, the actress who played the cook Mrs. Brill, was also amazing, in being such a vividly real personality.

Ashley Brown, however, the actress playing Mary Poppins, did not act so much as vogue her role. Where Julie Andrews in the movie kept you guessing, "What is her angle? Where is she coming from? What is she really thinking?", Ashley Brown was purely superficial, except for a few better moments toward the end. However, she was competent, adequate and professional enough for me to say, as Walt Disney is famous for saying to his staff when not displeased, "That'll do."

For more of my opinions on the show Mary Poppins, see my March 2007 post called "I'm Still Here."

Speaking of Walt Disney, I just recorded the first episode of my new internet radio show, "Inside Walt's World." I discuss my memories from 1989 when I worked as a telephone operator at Walt Disney World. It is now on rotation at the Disney-themed Extinct Attractions Radio station at http://www.live365.com/stations/extinctattractions or more simply at www.extinctattractionsradio.com. You may hear it on any day throughout the month of June 2007 at 1:00 pm Pacific Time or 4:00 pm Eastern Time (USA Time).

No comments: